Saturday 4 May 2013

There was no answer. He knocked again more loudly and his heart jumped when he heard a muffled voice say:

----Come in!

He turned the handle and opened the door and fumbled for the handle of the green baize door inside. He found it and pushed it open and went in.

He saw the rector sitting at a desk writing. There was a skull on the desk and a strange solemn smell in the room like the old leather of chairs.

His heart was beating fast on account of the solemn place he was in and the silence of the room: and he looked at the skull and at the rector's kindlooking face.

----Well, my little man, said the rector, what is it?

Stephen swallowed down the thing in this throat and said:

----I broke my glasses, sir.

The rector opened his mouth and said:

----O!

Then he smiled and said:

----Well, if we broke our glasses we must write home for a new pair.

----I wrote home, sir, said Stephen, and Father Arnall said I am not to study till they come.

----Quite right! said the rector.

Stephen swallowed down the thing again and tried to keep his legs and his voice from shaking.

----But, sir...

----Yes?

----Father Dolan came in today and pandied me because I was not writing my theme.

The rector looked at him in silence and he could feel the blood rising to his face and the tears about to rise to his eyes.

The rector said:

----Your name is Dedalus, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment