Saturday 5 October 2013

----I am curious to know now what he meant by that expression.

He turned again to Stephen and said in a whisper:

----Do you believe in Jesus? I believe in man. Of course, I don't know if you believe in man. I admire you, sir. I admire the mind of man independent of all religions. Is that your opinion about the mind of Jesus?

----Go on, Temple, said the stout ruddy student, returning, as was his wont, to his first idea, that pint is waiting for you.

----He thinks I'm an imbecile, Temple explained to Stephen, because I'm a believer in the power of mind. Cranly linked his arms into those of Stephen and his admirer and said:

----Nos ad manum ballum jocabimus.

Stephen, in the act of being led away, caught sight of MacCann's flushed bluntfeatured face.

----My signature is of no account, he said politely. You are right to go your way. Leave me to go mine.

----Dedalus, said MacCann crisply, I believe you're a good fellow but you have yet to learn the dignity of altruism and the responsibility of the human individual.

A voice said:

----Intellectual crankery is better out of this movement than in it.

Stephen, recognizing the harsh tone of MacAlister's voice did not turn in the direction of the voice. Cranly pushed solemnly through the throng of students, linking Stephen and Temple like a celebrant attended by his ministers on his way to the altar.

Temple bent eagerly across Cranly's breast and said:

----Did you hear MacAlister what he said? That youth is jealous of you. Did you see that? I bet Cranly didn't see that. By hell, I saw that at once.

As they crossed the inner hall, the dean of studies was

No comments:

Post a Comment