Saturday 16 November 2013

----Are you quite orthodox on that point, Temple? Dixon said suavely.

----Saint Augustine says that about unbaptized children going to hell, Temple answered, because he was a cruel old sinner too.

----I bow to you, Dixon said, but I had the impression that limbo existed for such cases.

----Don't argue with him, Dixon, Cranly said brutally. Don't talk to him or look at him. Lead him home with a sugan the way you'd lead a bleating goat.

----Limbo! Temple cried. That's a fine invention too. Like hell.

----But with the unpleasantness left out, Dixon said. He turned smiling to the others and said:

----I think I am voicing the opinions of all present in saying so much.

----You are, Glynn said in a firm tone. On that point Ireland is united.

He struck the ferrule of his umbrella on the stone floor of the colonnade.

----Hell, Temple said. I can respect that invention of the grey spouse of Satan. Hell is Roman, like the walls of the Romans, strong and ugly. But what is limbo?

----Put him back into the perambulator, Cranly, O'Keeffe called out.

Cranly made a swift step towards Temple, halted, stamping his foot, crying as if to a fowl:

----Hoosh!

Temple moved away nimbly.

----Do you know what limbo is? he cried. Do you know what we call a notion like that in Roscommon?

----Hoosh! Blast you! Cranly cried, clapping his hands.

----Neither my arse nor my elbow! Temple cried out scornfully. And that's what I call limbo.

----Give us that stick here, Cranly said.

No comments:

Post a Comment